Students offer low-income taxpayers
free assistance with tax returns
- March 19, 2007
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, run by student volunteers from Beta Alpha Psi, the honors accounting and finance fraternity, will prepare simple federal and Connecticut state income tax returns free of charge for low-income UConn students, staff, and faculty.
Those qualified for the service must be a UConn employee,
faculty member, or student who
is a U.S. resident who has earned income only in the state of Connecticut and is filing as an individual with gross income under $20,000 or a married couple with combined gross income less
Those who are self-employed, and/or have securities or IRA’s, do not qualify for the service.
International students must have been in the U.S. for more than five years and be filing a resident income tax return in order to qualify.
To sign up for assistance from VITA, send an e-mail to to schedule an appointment, or show up at any of the following times/locations:
- Tuesday, March 20, Student Union Room 304B, 3-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 21, Student Union Room 304B, 1-4 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 27, Student Union Room 304B, 3-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 28, Student Union Room 304B, 1-4 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 10, Business School 4th Floor, Accounting Office, 3-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 11,Student Union Room 304B, 1-5 p.m.