Students, faculty, and staff are invited to participate in a campus-wide picnic April 21 celebrating the 125th anniversary of the founding of the University.
The picnic will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on the lawn between Homer Babbidge Library and Hawley Armory.
The picnic is scheduled for Founder’s Day, the date on which in 1881 the Connecticut General Assembly voted to accept the gift of 170 acres of land and $5,000 from the brothers Charles and Augustus Storrs.
Agricultural School opened
five months later with three faculty members and 12
students. The School became a College in 1893 and, in 1939, the University of
The free event will include food and a variety of entertainment.
In case of rain, the outdoor event will be moved to nearby UConn dining halls, which will be free and open to anyone who was planning to attend the picnic.
Nearby, on Fairfield Way, the EcoHusky Earth Day Extravaganza will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Exhibits will promote environmental programs such as composting, biodiesel energy, and fuel-efficient cars. Members of the University community also may donate their old sneakers for recycling at “Mount Sneaker.”
For more information, call 860-486-1001.