First Stamford Campus Director Dies
Robert Hugh Wyllie of Hoover, Ala., formerly of Stamford, the first director of the University of Connecticut's Stamford campus, died of a heart attack May 12, at the Brookwood Medical Center in Birmingham, Ala. He was 82.
A mathematician and educator, Wyllie became the first director of UConn-Stamford in 1957, overseeing development of the campus and its academic programs.
He lived in Stamford for about 30 years, retiring to Birmingham in 1986.
Wyllie was born in Wrentham, Mass. During World War II, he served with the Third Infantry Division and was awarded the Purple Heart for combat wounds he received at Anzio, Italy.
He was an 82nd degree Mason and former high priest of the Miller Royal Arch Chapter in Franklin, Mass. He traveled extensively over five continents, and was traveling in South America when he suffered health complications that led to his death.
He is survived by two daughters, a son, and their families. He was predeceased by his wife of 51 years, Cherra Stobbart Wyllie.
Wyllie was buried in the Memorial Gardens of the Episcopal Church of the Ascension in Vestavia Hills, Ala.
Memorial donations may be sent to the American Heart Association, 3020 Westchester Ave., Purchase, NY 10577.