This is an archived article. For the latest news, go to the Advance Homepage
For more archives, go to the Advance Archive/Search Page.

  October 22, 2001

Homecoming Images

[ Return to History Article ]

pspan class="c6">The fall alumni reunion in 1922 brought former students to campus for the annual football rivalry with Rhode Island. This view is looking east across Gardner Dow Field looking toward Koons Hall and Hawley Armory.

Below is a closer look at the football action. Note the lack of padding on the players. It was the 25th year of the CAC-Rhody game, and the Rams won it, 12 to7.

Football 1922
Football Closeup
1922 Reunion Parade

An alumni reunion in the fall of 1922 and other in 1924 possibly served as dress rehearsals for the official first homecoming in 1925. The 1922 event included a parade of students and alumni from the Old Main Building (out of view to the left) and marched past the future site of the Beach Building. This view is looking east toward Horsebarn Hill.

Below is detail of the parade photograph from the 1922 Nutmeg Yearbook. Cheerleaders at the head of the parade appear to have varying "C's" on their sweaters.

Parade Closeup
Cornerstone 1925

The first official Homecoming was held in 1925, and included in the day's events was the laying of the cornerstone for the Community House at Storrs Congregational Church. At left is Charles L. Beach, president of Connecticut Agricultural College from 1908 to 1928. Others in the photo are not identified.

The first Homecoming was held on October 17, 1925, and witnessed another football game in the annual matchup with Rhode Island. Connecticut won this time, 24 to 0.

Homecoming 1933

The military parade at the Armistice Day/Homecoming on November 4, 1933. At the center of the photograph is a contingent from the Coast Guard Academy - the football game that followed the parade on Dow Field pitted Connecticut against Coast Guard. The building at the rear is Hawley. Note the arch attached to Armory. Arches at each end of the building were part of the original structure. It is believed the arches were removed in the 1950s.

[ Return to History Article ]

[ Index to UConn History ]

Issue Index